Hungry Wolves Next Moves
We’re announcing major changes today. Our team could barely sleep last night in anticipation of sharing this with all of you. Below is an outline of our path forward, updated roadmap, newly announced game mechanics, rewards examples and more.
- Alpha + Beta Hungry Wolves
- Supply Reduction + Mint Phases
- Beta Wolves Can Challenge Alpha Wolves
- Dominance Rewards: Evolve Your NFT
- Timeline Expectations
- Wen Whitepaper?
ALPHA + BETA HUNGRY WOLVES
We are introducing the concept of Rank into the metadata for our Hungry Wolves. Some of the wolves in our collection will be Alpha and others will be Beta. 100% of the wolves minted to-date will be Alpha wolves; an advantage that you all deserve for being EARLY.
To be clear, despite their name, Beta wolves are not secondary members of our pack or community. They will still be able to do all of the same things as Alpha wolves. The art will be identical, they’ll be able to join Wolfpacks, collect and eat sheep, earn Dominance and rewards.
The one difference between Alpha and Beta wolves is their hunting prowess; Beta wolves retrieve smaller prey during regular airdrops. While Alpha wolves will continue to earn Scrumptious Sheep, Beta wolves will hunt Lil Lambs. Lil Lambs are baby sheep and will yield less Dominance when eaten than their older, plumper Scrumptious Sheep counterparts.
Alpha and Beta wolves can eat both Scrumptious Sheep and Lil Lambs. The difference is which one they’ll automatically earn during airdrops. Both Scrumptious Sheep and Lil Lambs will be NFTs with unique visual traits and rarity. Eating rarer sheep (or lambs) will yield more Dominance.
We are going to cap the supply of our Alpha and Beta Hungry Wolves at 6,000. All Hungry Wolves minted to date just got significantly rarer.
- MINT PHASE 1: 100% of the first 2,500 Hungry Wolves minted will hold an Alpha rank. There are just under 2,050 minted to-date, which means there’s still an opportunity to mint guaranteed Alpha wolves.
- MINT PHASE 2: 25% of the next 1,000 Hungry Wolves minted will hold an Alpha rank, randomly distributed. The other 75% will be Betas.
- MINT PHASE 3: 10% of the last 2,500 Hungry Wolves minted will hold an Alpha rank, randomly distributed. The other 90% will be Betas.
The end result is we will have 3,000 Alpha Hungry Wolves and 3,000 Beta Hungry Wolves. This is by design as we’ll end up with two equally sized factions.
All of our 1-of-1s will remain in the collection. To ensure fairness of distribution, some of these will be minted by our team and sent to random holders who participated in MINT PHASE 1. The rest will become available via MINT PHASE 2 and MINT PHASE 3. This will ensure that everyone, regardless of when they minted, will have had a roughly equal chance at obtaining an ultra-rare drop. All of our 1–1s (including Werewolf Coins) will automatically hold an Alpha rank.
So hypothetically, if the floor price for an Alpha wolf is around mint cost — why would someone risk minting during PHASE 2 or PHASE 3 and potentially end up with a Beta wolf?
We’re setting up these mint phases in a way where our team effectively has to EARN sell outs of additional phases. They will happen over time as we deliver value and that’s OK. We’re confident in our ability to execute on an ambitious roadmap. Between reducing the supply of Alpha wolves significantly and driving demand through feature releases & airdrops, we anticipate the floor price of Alpha wolves to rise. We expect at some point in the future the mint price for Beta Wolves will begin to look very attractive, despite their Dominance yield (via Lil Lambs) being lower.
Plus … there’s a path for Beta wolves to become Alpha wolves.
BETA WOLVES CAN CHALLENGE ALPHA WOLVES
Once the holder of a Beta wolf earns a certain amount of Dominance, they’ll be able to risk it to challenge Alpha wolves.
If the Alpha accepts the challenge, and the Beta wins, the Beta will keep their Dominance and swap metadata tags with the Alpha; meaning the Alpha will become a Beta and the Beta will become an Alpha.
If they lose the challenge, their opponent (the Alpha wolf) will steal some of their Dominance.
This mechanic means we will always have the same number of Alpha and Beta wolves; equally distributed factions.
What are the implications of this model?
- If you mint a particularly rare or aesthetic Beta wolf, you have a path to turning it into an Alpha.
- If you’re an Alpha wolf, you can significantly expedite your Dominance earnings simply by accepting challenges from Beta wolves.
- If an Alpha wolf loses its rank and becomes a Beta, they can reclaim it by earning Dominance and challenging another Alpha wolf in the future.
But why do you want Dominance?
DOMINANCE REWARDS: EVOLVE YOUR NFT
We plan for there to be many uses for Dominance, both online and offline.
We already shared one use for Dominance above; Beta wolves will be able to use it to challenge Alpha wolves for a chance at upgrading their rank. But we’re excited to share today that you’ll also be able to use your Dominance to evolve your Hungry Wolf NFT’s appearance.
There will be certain visual traits (clothing, items, backgrounds) that will be EXCLUSIVELY available by earning & using Dominance. Maybe you want a gold top hat for your wolf? Or a barrel of purple gems?
Our goal is to make your PFP something that you don’t just get by scratching a lottery ticket or buying it off the secondary. By playing our game and using the mechanics, you’ll be able to evolve your Hungry Wolf and customize it into something you’re even prouder to show off.
If you look at our original website roadmap (historical snapshot available in our Discord under #overview) to build the mechanics above, we needed to be at a much higher % of total sales. After all, these things cost money and require people.
But you always hear Adam saying that we like to under-promise and over-deliver. This is one of those times. We’ve looked at the numbers and are confident we can not only complete mechanics for joining Wolfpacks, airdropping Scrumptious Sheep (and now Lil Lambs) + the ability to earn Dominance — but we’re now ADDING mechanics such as Rank, challenges and NFT upgrades. We are going to make the investments necessary to drive value for our holders and propel the project forward.
That being said, we do ask for your patience. We now have several new developers working on this project. We expect that the ability to join Wolfpacks via the Wolf Den will be available later this month. We will continue delivering the rest of our planned features as soon as we can develop them at quality. In the meantime, recognize that YOU’RE ALL HERE VERY EARLY. If this entire ecosystem was available now, do you believe demand would increase? We know we believe that. And it’s all coming.
We’ve said from the beginning that this isn’t a pump and dump project. Your Hungry Wolves are essentially an angel investment into a startup. But one that has next level artistic capabilities and an experienced team with a successful track record. With a little time, this is going to become something very special.
We keep getting requests for this and we will publish one. But we need to solidify the mathematical details of our game mechanics beforehand. We’ll be working with Scott Kominers (our now tenured Harvard economist advisor) in the coming weeks on all of this. At that time we’ll take everything above and share a level deeper in the form of a whitepaper.
Our team is RIDICULOUSLY excited about bringing this all to you. Thank you all for being with us EARLY and we look forward to hearing your feedback.
Onward and upward — and stay Hungry!
Adam, dBB & Jimmy